Frequently Asked Questions

General Questions

Q: Do I have to get my lot resurveyed if I already have pins?

A: Property lines will require verification by a licensed surveyor prior to building permit submittal. That does not always mean a survey is necessary. If the property was created by a record map or had a previously recorded survey, the surveyor will only need to certify the existing pins. If a pin is missing, they’ll reset it and file a corner record with the county.

Q. What does my property need to be zoned to have a livestock animal permit?

A. AR-1, AR-3, AR-5, RR-1, RR-2/3, RR-1/2, TR-1, TR-1/2 and TR-1/3. You can find out the zone designation for your property by entering your address in our interactive zone map here:

Q: What am I required to do with my septic if I plan to rebuild?

A: You are required to have your septic evaluated by a Town-licensed evaluator to make sure it is in compliance with the Town municipal code. It is best to have your system evaluated prior to building. You can find a licensed evaluator here:…/1666-licensed-septic-evalu…

Debris Removal Questions

Q: How long with the soil sample/Certification take?

A: Once the debris removal is completed, soil samples will be taken to determine if the remaining soil is clean of contaminants. The process takes about 2 weeks to receive certification that the soil is clear. If the soil does not test clear, the property will have to be scraped again, removing several more inches of soil, and will then be tested again. 

Q: Is there a schedule for the debris removal?

A: There is not a long term schedule for debris removal through the State program, however you can contact the Debris Removal Operation Center (DROC) at (530) 399-0434 or in person at 900 Fortress St, Suite 200 in Chico for more information about your property. You will receive a phone call 24-48 hours prior to your property being cleaned, and you will be given further information about the process and the option of being there when the debris is removed if you wish.

There is also an interactive map for debris removal where you can see the progress through Town : 

Q: What happens if I want to sell my property before debris is removed?

A: If you are selling a property or have sold a property with structural debris present, you can download an affidavit of Property Transfer for Government -sponsored Debris Removal Program here:

Q: What’s going on with the trees?

A: The removal of dead and dying trees after the Camp Fire is of vital importance to our rebuilding efforts. After the fire, PG&E and the Town of Paradise removed trees that were of immediate hazard and/or were in the public right of way to allow Paradise residents to return. Tree removal efforts are ongoing, and you will likely see many tree crews throughout Paradise. PG&E is still working on removing trees that are hazardous to their power lines as well as to their crews that are working on properties. Debris removal crews may also remove trees that are dangerous to their crews while they are working. 

The Town of Paradise deployed a team of arborists the week of May 13th. These arborists will be assessing all the trees that are remaining on public roads and in the Town’s right of way. Arborist crews will not enter private property. The assessment will be completed within the next several weeks to determine the scope of the tree removal that is required, and will make a plan to remove the trees at that time. 

Trees on private property: Trees on private property are one of our biggest challenges. These trees are the responsibility of the property owner to remove if necessary, however it can be very expensive to remove large trees especially on the scale we are experiencing. The Town of Paradise is working with our federal and state recovery partners to make funding available to offset this cost for property owners. While we do not have a program in place yet, we are working hard to provide relief to property owners with trees that need to be removed. The Town will make a public announcement if and when a solution is found for funding.