Permit Fee Reduction Program:

Funded by the Butte Strong Fund and Golden State Finance Authority, this grant reduces permit fees for those rebuilding in Paradise by 50% or $3,500, whichever is less. 

Residents do not need to apply  - the reduction is automatically in place when the permit(s) is issued.

Butte County Fire Safe Council Dead and Dying Tree Removal Program:

The Butte County Fire Safe Council is a 501(c)(3) non-profit that has been serving Butte County for over 20 years. Traditionally, we have focused on wildfire prevention, safety, and education. Since the 2018 Camp Fire, we have broadened our scope to include fire recovery. Our Tree Removal Project is focused on removing merchantable dead and dying trees over 12” in diameter that could inhibit new construction. Due to limited funding, we can only help certain landowners who meet specific qualifications within the footprint.

To Qualify, Landowners Must –

    • Have pulled a building permit on the property where tree removal will be conducted. 

    • The property must be within the Camp Fire footprint.

    • 70% of the dead and dying trees to be removed from the property must be conifers. Harvestable trees (Cedar, Pine, Fir) are necessary to offset the high costs of tree removal.

    • Have at least 20 harvestable trees between the property with a building permit and those directly adjacent. 

    • Be paying for reconstruction themselves. 

    • Own property directly adjacent to properties with building permits pulled.

      (Assistance from landowners receiving this flyer with contacting landowners directly adjacent for tree removal is appreciated.)

*This program will be conducted on a first come, first serve basis. Due to limited funding we cannot guarantee we will be able to help all qualified landowners in need of tree removal.*

Please contact Taylor Nilsson at the Butte County Fire Safe Council to enroll in the program by October 25th, 2019 via

Phone - (530) 966-1620

Email -

Funds Available to Assist Households with Reconstruction or Repair

The Town of Paradise currently has funds available to assist households with the reconstruction or repair of their home in Paradise.

The Town offers a deferred, low-interest loan to eligible homeowners for housing rehabilitation. Housing repairs can include reconstruction of a home damaged or destroyed by the Camp Fire, correcting any unsafe or unsanitary conditions, and eliminating code violations. There are qualifications that the homeowner must meet, including certain income limits and ownership of the home prior to the Camp Fire. There are also qualifications that the property must meet; for example, the property must be within Paradise Town Limits, be valued under $339,150 after-reconstruction/rehabilitation, and be able to pass all State and local codes and ordinances given a per-unit subsidy limit.

The Income Limits for the Owner-Occupied Housing Rehabilitation program are based on the number of people in the household; exact figures can be found on the Town’s website at occupied-housing-rehabilitation. For more detailed information, please visit the Town’s website or call Housing Services at (530) 872-6291 x122.

The intent of the Town’s housing programs is to implement local housing strategies designed to increase affordable housing opportunities for moderate- and low-income citizens. The Town of Paradise is pledged to the letter and the spirit of the United States policy for the achievement of equal housing opportunity throughout the Nation. The Town encourages and supports an affirmative program in which there are no barriers to obtaining housing because of race, color, religion, sex, handicap, familial status or national origin.

For more information, please contact:

Kate Anderson, Housing Program Manager

(530) 872-6291 x 122

Hazardous Tree Removal Program Approved for Trees on Private Property that may fall on Public Roads: 

OROVILLE, Calif. – Butte County and the Town of Paradise requested public assistance funds to remove burnt, hazard trees on private property that could fall and affect roads and living areas. The request also asked the State to operate the tree removal program. FEMA informed the California Office of Emergency Services (CalOES) public assistance funding is only approved to remove burnt, hazard trees rooted in private property that could fall and affect public roads and public facilities. FEMA requested additional information related to the request to remove trees that could fall and affect private roads. The request for public assistance to remove burnt, hazard trees that may fall onto the living spaces was not approved. 

The County and the Town are working with Cal OES to advocate for public assistance to remove trees that may fall and affect private roads regularly traveled by the general public. The County and the Town also continue to seek grant funding for programs to remove trees that may fall onto living spaces. 

The Board of Supervisors and the Town Council will consider urgency ordinances in the coming weeks requiring hazard tree removal on private property where trees may fall and affect the public road right-of-way. 

The Government Hazard Tree Removal Program will require property owners to submit a Right-of-Entry (ROE) Form. The County, in coordination with the Town, will open Right-of- Entry Centers in the coming weeks to collect ROEs. More information will be provided soon about which properties are eligible for the Program, ROE Center locations, and information meetings for community members. Visit and sign up to receive email updates about the Program. 

The Government Hazard Tree Removal Program, which is currently approved for properties along public roads, will be available at no out-of-pocket cost to property owners who complete and sign a Tree Right-of-Entry (ROE) form in a similar manner to the debris removal program. 

USDA Home Repair Program:

Was your septic system or well damaged? Do you need to remove trees or make other repairs? USDA can help. Loan and Grant Options Available Now to Rural Homeowners:

  • Eligibility: 

    • Must own home and live in the home

    • Loans up to $40,000, 20 year term, 1% interest rate

    • Grants up to $10,000 for eligible homeowners age 62+

    • Home must be in a rural community (Paradise is eligible)

    • If your income is below these limits and you live in Butte County you may be eligible for a loan or grant: 

      • 1-4 person family $33,250

      • 5-8 person family $43,900

USDA graphic.JPG

Property Tax Postponement (PTP) Program:


-Defer current-year payment of property taxes on their principal residence.


-Homeowners who are seniors, blind, or have a disability.

-Must have 40% equity in their home AND an annual household income of $35,500 or less to qualify. To learn more visit

Wildfire Assistance Program:

The Wildfire Assistance Program is now accepting claims for urgent need funds from households affected by the 2017 and 2018 wildfires. The qualifying 2017 and 2018 wildfires are the Atlas, Adobe, Blue, Camp, Cascade, Cherokee, Honey, LaPorte, Lobo, Maacama, McCourtney, Nuns, Norrbom, Partrick, Pocket, Point, Pressley, Pythian, Redwood, Sulphur, Tubbs and “37” Fires.


Instructions on where and how to submit a claim, along with the information and documentation you will need can be found below. If you have additional questions about the Wildfire Assistance Program or about filing a claim, contact the Administrator at the email address, phone number or mailing address at the bottom of this email.


How Do I Submit a Claim?

To submit a claim to the Program, go to and select Submit a New Claim. Once you begin your claim, if you come to a question and do not know the answer or if you do not have the required documentation, you can save your claim form and return to it at a later time.


What Do I Need to Provide?


Claimants must provide the following:


  1. Current contact information.

  2. The address at which the Wildfire damage occurred.

  3. Proof that the location of your primary residence was within the boundary of a 2017 or 2018 Wildfire.

  4. Proof of your identity.

  5. A list of all household members or dependents, including yourself, and their Tax Identification Numbers, that lived at the primary residence.

  6. Information on any assistance received from the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA).


What Documentation Can I Submit to Prove My Identity and the Location of My Primary Residence?

Examples of acceptable documentation include:

  • A copy of a valid driver’s license or California identification card

  • A U.S. Passport

  • A foreign passport with Form 1-94

  • Form W-2

  • Pay stubs showing the address

  • Bills sent to the address of the Affected Property dated within 60 days of the fire damage

  • A valid lease/rental agreement showing the property/unit address


How Will I Receive Payment?

Eligible claimants can elect to receive payment from the Wildfire Assistance Program in one of three ways:

  1. Zelle Payment. Zelle is a payment app that allows you to send and receive money from your mobile device. You may access Zelle through your bank’s website and mobile app (if offered), or through the Zelle app linked to your debit card. To set up a Zelle account, contact your bank or financial institution. If you select payment by Zelle, you must sign up for Zelle via the Zelle app or website before the Wildfire Assistance Program issues the payment.

  2. Prepaid Card. The Wildfire Assistance Program (through our banking partner, Bank of America) will mail you a Prepaid Card that will be loaded with the value of your claim payment. The card will be ready for use everywhere Visa debit cards are accepted.

  3. Check. Checks will be issued to your current mailing address or an alternate mailing address of your choosing.


How Do I know if I am Eligible and How Much Will I be Paid?

Below are the Eligibility Criteria for the Wildfire Assistance Program. A copy of the Eligibility Criteria may also be found at on the Documents page.


Eligibility Criteria

Eligibility for benefits from the Wildfire Assistance Program will be divided into two tiers.  The first tier provides a Basic Unmet Needs payment of $5,000 per household for victims who establish basic eligibility requirements and self-certify that they have at least $5,000 of unmet needs that have not been compensated by FEMA.  The second tier provides additional awards to claimants who demonstrate with greater specificity that their household has Supplemental Unmet Needs resulting from the 2017 or 2018 Wildfires.  The Basic Unmet Needs payments will be issued before the Supplemental Unmet Needs payments.  Payments to the Supplemental Unmet Needs claims will be contingent upon the amount of funds available after all qualifying Basic Unmet Needs payments have been issued.


I. Basic Unmet Needs

Each qualifying household will receive a Basic Unmet Needs payment of $5,000 for current needs such as water, food, first aid, prescriptions, infant formula, diapers, consumable medical supplies, durable medical equipment, personal hygiene items, fuel for transportation, beyond what FEMA covered in the days immediately following the disaster declarations, and/or mental anguish and emotional distress resulting from the 2017 or 2018 Wildfires. To qualify, claimants must meet the following conditions:


  1. Location of Primary Residence. The primary residence of the household was located within the boundary of a 2017 or 2018 Wildfire. While some claimants may have documentation sufficient to establish the location of the primary residence in relation to a 2017 or 2018 Wildfire, the Administrator shall determine the physical location of each residence by reference to available data that provides independent information on property and fire location.

  2. Proof of Identity. A claimant applying for Basic Unmet Needs payment on behalf of their household must establish proof of his or her identity and provide documentation showing that he or she resided at the address that is the subject of the claim.

  3. FEMA Non-Duplication Self- Certification. Claimants must self-certify that they are not requesting Wildfire Assistance Program payments for an expense that has already been compensated by FEMA or any other source, and will be required to sign a sworn statement to that effect. Claimants may request assistance for needs that exceed what was covered by FEMA or any other source.


II. Supplemental Unmet Needs

A. Eligibility. Claimants who qualify for a Basic Unmet Needs payment may also request a Supplemental Unmet Needs payment from the Program. Eligible claimants may receive additional compensation as decided by the Administrator through an allocation process of available funds after all Basic Unmet Needs Payments have been issued. To receive a Supplemental Unmet Needs payment, claimants must establish the existence of present conditions that are:


(1)      Caused by the 2017 and 2018 Wildfires;

(2)      Extreme and extraordinary in nature, as compared to others who were impacted by the 2017 and 2018 Wildfires; and

(3)      Not remedied by payment or assistance provided by FEMA.


B. Proof Requirements. Claimants requesting Supplemental Unmet Needs payments must submit a narrative description of the circumstances surrounding their claim and documents supporting this claim. Claimants seeking a Supplemental Unmet Needs payment must also establish that at least one member of the household presently has one or more supplemental unmet needs beyond what they received from FEMA or any other source, such as expenses related to housing, medical and dental treatment, unemployment, or other unmet need not covered by FEMA assistance or any other source.


C. FEMA Non-Duplication Self- Certification. Claimants must self-certify that they are not requesting Wildfire Assistance Program payments for an expense that has already been compensated by FEMA or any other source, and will be required to sign a sworn statement to that effect. Claimants may request assistance for needs that exceed what was covered by FEMA or any other source.


III. FEMA Data Sharing

As a condition of receiving a Wildfire Assistance Program payment, claimants will also be required to provide consent for the Wildfire Assistance Program and FEMA to share data for the purposes of certifying claimants’ identity, eligibility, and prior FEMA benefits.


The deadline to file a claim for both Basic and Supplemental Unmet Needs payments is November 15, 2019.


For more information about the Wildfire Assistance Program, contact the Administrator in one of the following ways:


Phone: 1-888-626-0062 (toll-free)





Northern California Wildfire Assistance Program

P.O. Box 26961

Richmond, VA 23261