Go Bag Giveaway with “Prepared Paradise” Evacuation Event
On June 15, residents headed to Paradise Community Park for June’s TOP POP event, a Go Bag giveaway in conjunction with the “Prepared Paradise” emergency evacuation event. At the pop-up, residents were offered free Go Bags from Be Ready, Butte! Along with important information about emergency preparedness, evacuation routes, Early Warning Sirens, Code Red, and more.
A number of organizations participated in June’s ToP POP event, including:
- The Town of Paradise sponsored the event, providing go bags with water bottles, a first aid kit, and a sundries bag for residents.
- Butte County Fire Safe Council (BCFSC) provided attendees with wildfire prevention information and helped residents determine their evacuation zone. Plus, Wildfire Ready Raccoon made an appearance!
- Members of the Camp Fire Collaborative showed up to share wildfire resources with the public.
- Butte County Behavioral Health offered complimentary counseling services for those affected by the Camp Fire.
- Northern Valley Catholic Social Services handed out free tote bags and informational pamphlets to community members.
Over 100 people came by!
Paradise residents showed up in full force for Go Bags, to determine the zone they lived in, and to chat with folks about fire safety. Questions included evacuation protocol for schools and daycare as well as for elderly or hard-of-hearing residents who may not hear the sirens or have internet access.
Fortunately, there were plenty of booths people could visit to get answers to those questions, like BCFSC.
“All of our Go Bags were given out, and a lot of people were interested in the printed zone maps,” said a member of BCFSC. “Many did not know their zone. Overall, it was a nice, positive experience with community members.”
Early Warning Sirens Test #1
This TOP POP coincided with the first audible testing of the 5 completed early warning sirens. The sirens went off at 10 a.m. to simulate an evacuation event.
Soon, the Town will build and test a total of 21 sirens. The next test takes place on Saturday, July 1st at noon. Please mark your calendars so you’re ready! For more information about the upcoming tests visit, townofparadise.com.