August 11th, 2020 6 pm: Town Council Meeting
VIRTUAL ONLY: https://livestream.com/townofparadise
1,136 Building Permit Applications Received
979 Building Permits Issued
278 Homes Rebuild (Certificate of Occupancy)
Congratulations to Paradise Public Works Director and Town Engineer, Marc Mattox for being recognized as one of the top 25 newsmakers by Engineering News-Record. Honorees are chosen by the ENR editors for their news making achievements – including rising to the challenge in the toughest of situations. You can read more about Marc’s story here
● The August Community Information Meeting was held Tuesday, August 4th via livestream on both Facebook and Youtube. Topics included Trees, Recovery Project Update, Weed Abatement, and a thorough update from Paradise Unified School District. You can watch the replay on Facebook or YouTube.
● Tractor Supply Co. Is opening a location in Paradise! Tractor Supply will be opening in half of the Kmart building once their renovations are complete. We’ll update as this project progresses, but we are excited to this business in Town to help our community recover.
● The Private Hazardous Tree Assessment is Progressing Nicely.
o 4,900 Roadside assessments completed
o 2,398 properties found to have no hazardous trees and are completed
o About 45% of unenrolled properties are clear of hazardous trees
o About 52% of enrolled properties have removed hazardous trees
o Six Tetra Tech arborists continue to be out in the field assessing trees in Paradise. They are wearing blue vests with yellow safety stripe and a TT logo. Vehicles contain the Tetra Tech TT logo.
● Paradise Project Spotlight – One of the projects in the long term recovery plan is high speed internet. Coming soon is a Broadband Feasibility Study conducted by the Geographic Information Center at Chico State. Part of this study will be an internet usage survey. More details coming soon. Sign up for the MakeitParadise.org newsletter to stay informed and receive the survey when released.
● Weed Abatement Inspections Continue. After the epic spring bloom, the Town is hard at work removing weeds and brush from public rights of way. We are also notifying private property owners when weed removal is required. To date:
o A total of 6,258 parcels were inspected
o 650 parcels require no further action
o 820 parcels were compliant at the time of inspection
o 25 parcels have been referred to Code Enforcement
o 4,788 parcels still need work.
Did you receive a hazard weed abatement notification and need clarification? Visit MakeitParadise.org for answers to the most frequently asked questions. The Town is looking for ways to re-open our local green waste yard for our residents. In the meantime Old Durham Wood is accepting green waste.
● Paradise Community Village is Rebuilding! The 36-unit affordable housing complex located of Clark Rd. which was destroyed in the fire is starting their rebuilding process. They expect to be completed with construction by November 2021.
● PSPS Grant for Generators- The Town applied for and received a grant from Cal OES to address future Public Safety Power Shutoffs. The $300,000 awarded will be used to purchase and install back up generators and fuel for all traffic signals in Town. This will improve public safety by enabling traffic signals to continue running even when the power is out for an extended period.
● The Building Resiliency Center (BRC) Continues to Be Open. The BRC continues to maintain operations during the COVID-19 pandemic to assist those seeking to rebuild. The Center is open by appointment only and masks are required. The Rebuild Advocates are available to answer any questions you may have. Please call 530.872.6291 x411 to make an in-person (depending on COVID status) or phone appointment today!
● Have You Completed Your Tree ROE? There are still over 2,000 properties in The Town of Paradise that have not completed their TROE form. In order to remove all dead and dying trees there is an urgent need for all residents who have not completed this form to do make it a priority. Ask your neighbors, family and friends both in town and those who have been relocated out of state but still own property –Have you completed your TROE?
Download your ROE or inspection Access form here. You can mail the form to PO Box 3390 Chico, CA 95927-3390 or email to TreeROE@buttecounty.net. For questions, call the Tree ROE Information line at (530) 552-3030.
● The Paradise Farmer’s Market Has Reopened! Head on down to the Paradise Alliance Church every Tuesday morning for fresh fruits and veggies. Time is 7:30am – 12:00pm at 6491 Clark Road.
● Have questions regarding your rebuild? Rebuild Advocates are here to help! If you need help navigating the rebuild process, the Town of Paradise has Rebuild Advocates available to assist. They can help with the following: Navigating insurance, FEMA or SBA, understanding additional financing options, selecting a contractor, submitting plants, or any part of the rebuild process. They are available at the Building Resiliency Center by appointment only. Please call 530.872.6291 x411 to make an in-person (depending on COVID status) or phone appointment today!